Elementary Education (Bachelor of Science)
Do you want to make a difference in the life of a child? Are you patient, organized and caring? Elementary education may be the career choice for you. A Bachelor of Science (BS) in elementary education from Creighton University will prepare you for teaching K-8 in a parochial school or K-6 in a public school.
All Creighton teacher education programs are fully accredited by state, regional and national accrediting agencies, including the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. The BS blends theory and practical experience and includes opportunities to serve as tutors, teachers’ assistants and student teachers in Omaha metropolitan public and private schools. Our goal is to help you become the best teacher you can possibly be.
You’ll benefit from the strong reputation of Creighton’s Department of Education when you enter the job market. Recent Creighton education graduates are using their degrees in a variety of educational settings, including:
- Omaha and metro-area public schools
- Omaha Catholic schools
- Ft. Leavenworth (Kansas) School District
- Hawaii Department of Education
- Norfolk (Nebraska) Public Schools
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps
- Bright Horizons Family Solutions
- Kansas City (Missouri and Kansas) schools
Graduates have also gone on to receive advanced degrees before beginning the teaching profession, studying at institutions such as
- University of Kansas Medical Center
- Washington State University School of Earth & Environmental Sciences
- Midwestern University
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of kindergarten and elementary school teachers is projected to grow 12% by 2022, as a result of projected increases in enrollment and declines in student–teacher ratios. In addition, the student–teacher ratio across schools is expected to decline slightly, meaning that each teacher will be responsible for fewer students. Consequently, more teachers will be needed.
- How to be an effective elementary teacher in the Jesuit tradition
- How to inspire children to learn through classroom leadership skills
- How to be an ethical thinker and creative problem solver
Students with Degrees
For students who already have a degree, we can help you complete an elementary education endorsement.