Finance (Bachelor of Science in Business Administration)
When you graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) with a concentration in finance from Creighton’s college of business, you’ll be earning a degree from the 20th-ranked finance program in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.
Creighton’s finance program features:
- More Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) faculty with doctoral degrees than any other institution in the world
- The opportunity to help manage over $7 million in Creighton endowment funds through our Portfolio Practicum course
- A “Wall Street Week” travel course, where students travel to New York to visit top investment bankers and securities professionals.
Creighton finance graduates have a thorough understanding of financial institutions, including banking and insurance, business and government as well as personal financial management. They are careful, ethical analysts versed in the development of financial principles in all areas of financial decision making. Creighton business graduates are prepared for professional certifications and able to work in a variety of economic fields.
The average starting salary for a 2017 Creighton graduate in finance was $50,000. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, as the population ages and life expectancies increase, demand for financial planning services is projected to grow at a rate much faster than other occupations.
Entry level positions for students earning a BSBA in finance include:
- Financial Analyst
- Project Manager
- Financial Planning Analyst
- Securities Analyst
- Loan Analyst
- Pension Fund Investors
- Group Insurance Sales
- Securities Sales
- Credit Manager
- Assistant Treasurer
- Mortgage and Commercial Loan Officer
- Risk Manager
- Personal Lines Insurance Sales
- Claims Adjuster
Graduates have recently found careers with:
- Bank of America
- Avantine Renewable Energy,
- BlackRock, Inc.
- Burlington Capital Group
- ConAgra Foods
- Ecolab, Inc.
- Edward Jones
- Ennis Knupp
A BSBA in finance can also help in the preparation for a number of professional certifications including:
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Certificate in Management Accounting (CMA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Several real estate certifications
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU)
- Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)
- Associate in Risk Management (ARM)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Insurance and Risk Management Track
- Financial Analysis Track
- Financial Planning Track
- Financial Services Track
- Gain an understanding of financial institutions, including banking and insurance, business and government, as well as personal financial management
- Develop ethics as they relate to financial decision-making
- Learn methods of personal financial planning, estate planning and taxation, and financial analysis and risk management
- Alpha Kappa Psi: Business
Alpha Kappa Psi is the oldest and largest business fraternity. Become a part of a group that develops well-trained, ethical, skilled, resourceful, experienced business leaders.
- CU Heider Business Senate
The Creighton University Heider Business Senate is a liaison between the student body and the administration of the Heider College of Business. The Senate promotes the mission and values of the Heider College of Business through various projects.
- Beta Gamma Sigma: Business
This society encourages and rewards scholarship and accomplishment among students of commerce and business administration. Beta Gamma Sigma promotes the advancement of education in the art and science of business and fosters integrity in the conduct of business activities.
Business Career Programs
We take your success seriously at Creighton. So seriously that we have designed our Career Portfolio Program around your success as both a student and a professional. Our integrated philosophy of incorporating a balanced, hands-on learning experience with emphasis on ethics and service to others means that as a Creighton graduate, you will have the freedom, conscience, commitment and opportunity to do the right thing extremely well.
More than 90% of business students complete at least one internship during their college career. Internships are an excellent way to “sample” jobs that might become your career focus. Interns gain real world skills that strengthen their qualifications and give them a competitive edge when applying for full-time jobs later.
Creighton’s finance majors have completed internships at the following companies:
- Bank of America
- First National Bank
- Merrill Lynch
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- ConAgra Foods
- Burlington Capital
- Edward Jones