Healthy Lifestyle Management (Bachelor of Arts)
The goal of the Bachelor’s in Healthy Lifestyle Management is to offer a degree program that focuses on whole person health by providing students the knowledge, skill and values to work with people on an individual level to improve their personal health and well-being and prevent the onset and/or progression of chronic diseases.
Students who have an interest in learning to work one-on-one with people of all ages for the purpose of fostering the creation of health so that each individual can optimally thrive in the community in which they live, work and spend their time will be drawn to this program. After you graduate, you will be prepared to sit for various health and wellness coaching certification exams.
This program is unique because it is rooted in interdisciplinary teaching and research that puts into practice the Jesuit charism of cura personalis, care for the whole person: body, mind and spirit. You will grow through exploring the meaning and application of multiple dimensions of care, including relational care and self-care.
Graduates of this program can move into the workforce in the health and wellness industry, including health and wellness coaching, continue their education in a graduate level program, or matriculate into a health professions program. Career possibilities in this field include:
Health Educators and Health Coaches
- Provide and manage health education programs that help individuals, families and communities achieve and maintain healthylifestyles
- The national median salary for health educators is $50,430 per year.
- Employment for health educators is projected to grow 15 - 21% from 2012 to 2022, faster than average for all occupations.
- Find out more at http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/21-1091.00
- Manage or coordinate wellness programs and services in employer and community settings
- The national median salary for wellness coordinators is $72,020 per year.
- Employment for wellness coordinators is projected to grow 8 - 14% from 2012 to 2022, average for all occupations.
- The 2015 Employee Benefits Report by the Society for Human Resource Management states that 70% of U.S. employers currently offer wellness programs, and an additional 8% plan to offer one in the next 12 months.
- Find out more at http://www.onetonline.org/link/details/11-9039.02
Community Health Professionals
- Community health professionals work in a variety of positions within the community to improve health and well-being by discussing health concerns with members of specific populations or communities.
- The national median salary for community health workers is $42,450 per year.
- Employment for wellness coordinators is projected to grow 13% from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations.
- Find out more at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/health-educators.htm
Other opportunities may include:
- Community Health Education Coordinator
- Education Coordinator
- Life Skills Coach
- Community Health Outreach Worker
- Fitness and Wellness Director
- Public Health Educator
- Community Health Program Coordinator
- Health Promotion Specialist
- Wellness Coach
- Community Health Program Representative
- Holistic Health Coach
- Wellness Program Director
Note: Salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment settings and job opportunities in your geographic area may vary.
- How to promote wellness holistically
- How society and culture impact health and wellness
- How to understand to physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of health and wellness
- How to provide effective health and wellness coaching
The College of Arts and Sciences Core Curriculum consists of 57 credit hours. The classes you’ll take within your major add up to 40 credit hours, with 37 credit hours remaining for degree completion. For the remaining credit hours, students may choose to pursue a minor, complete pre-health requirements, or begin taking courses that apply towards a graduate degree. A minor in Health Lifestyle Management is also available to students pursuing other majors. Students may also pursue a 5-year program that includes both the Bachelor’s in Healthy Lifestyle Management and a Master’s of Science in Health & Wellness Coaching.
See all curriculum requirements for the major for College of Arts and Sciences students.
See general admissions requirements for Creighton University or learn how to transfer credits.
If you see graduate school in your future, why not start sooner? Get a head start on your master’s while finishing up your bachelor’s degree. Choose from MS in Health and Wellness Coaching, MS in Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, or MS in Organizational Leadership.
Learn how to save a year of time and tuition through our Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s programs.