Spiritual Direction-Directed Retreats (Certificate)
The Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats offers an experience of reflection, prayer, worship and study that cultivates a deep knowledge of Christian Spirituality.
Participants cultivate an apostolic spirituality through this program, which promotes the deep spiritual and moral renewal needed for Christians to respond appropriately to the many urgent issues facing humanity in the twenty-first century. Students who complete this program are able to apply the concepts they’ve learned to both life and ministry.
This is a summer-only program of graduate level courses for candidates who are 30 years of age or older and have a 2-year history of regular spiritual direction.
More than 1000 students have completed the Christian Spirituality program and represent the laity, religious and clergy. Competent spiritual directors are in demand.
The certificate also gives you a jump-start on completing the M.A. in Christian Spirituality if desired.
- A thorough knowledge of Christian Spirituality, with an emphasis on Ignatian Spirituality
- Experiential appropriation of the mysteries of the Christian faith grounded in human development through reflection, prayer and communal worship
- An apostolic orientation directed toward more effective ministry skills, especially toward preparation for giving spiritual direction and directed retreats
Creighton University has maintained continuous accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission since 1928. For information regarding the University’s accreditation status, visit http://www.creighton.edu/accreditation/.
Information regarding academic programs which hold specialized accreditation can be found on this page.
- Completed application & $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Must include 12 recent credits in undergraduate theology and at least two years of regular spiritual direction
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Three letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members who can speak to your life of faith and prayer, aptitude for ministry, and performance in an academic or professional setting
- Must be at least 30 years of age
- Must complete an eight-day silent, directed retreat preferably before beginning classes
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
Program Start Date